VMware is announcing new advancements for VMware Cloud, said to be the industry’s first and only multi-cloud computing infrastructure that enables customers to move their enterprise apps to the cloud in nearly half the time and less than half the cost. These new innovations include:
· A new portfolio of managed Kubernetes services to modernize apps on VMware Cloud;
· Capabilities that will make it simpler and safer to run enterprise apps in VMware Cloud;
· A new initiative supporting the need for customers to run their business in sovereign clouds; and,
· Tech previews that showcase the future of VMware Cloud.
Together, these innovations will give VMware Cloud customers even more tools to accelerate modernization of their enterprise apps, increase business agility and resiliency, and significantly reduce costs compared to existing approaches.
“VMware has established a unique position in the world of multi-cloud computing by meeting customers where they are to help them achieve their cloud objectives,” said Mark Lohmeyer, senior vice president and general manager, Cloud Infrastructure Business Group, VMware. “VMware helps to eliminate the false choice between business innovation and IT control. Our latest innovations help customers modernize apps, infrastructure, and operations with better economics and less risk, and boost developer productivity. And with Project Arctic, the next evolution of VMware vSphere, we will unleash the hybrid cloud for every enterprise.”
Delivering Kubernetes-based Containers and Infrastructure as a Service
VMware Cloud with Tanzu services is a new portfolio of managed Kubernetes services that will be available at no additional charge as part of VMware Cloud on AWS. Tanzu services will make app modernization with Kubernetes faster, easier, and less expensive on VMware Cloud than alternative managed Kubernetes solutions. IT admins will be able to use the VMware vCenter interface to unify VM and container management on a common platform and provision Kubernetes clusters within minutes. Platform operators or SREs will be able to manage Kubernetes clusters consistently across clouds using Tanzu services as a multi-cloud Kubernetes management plane.
VMware Cloud is Simpler and Safer for Enterprise Apps
VMware Cloud makes running enterprise vSphere apps in any cloud environment simpler and safer. Research shows VMware Cloud customers can achieve 300% faster Kubernetes deployment, 46% faster cloud migration(2), and 57% reduction in TCO.
SIMPLER: VMware Cloud gives customers the flexibility to move to the cloud on their timelines and run vSphere workloads on the cloud of their choice. Only VMware Cloud runs as a native service in 100+ regions spanning all public clouds—Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Google Cloud, IBM Cloud, and
Oracle Cloud— as well as 4,000+ partner clouds, in private data centers, and at the edge. With VMware Cloud Universal, customers can flexibly purchase and consume VMware Cloud from VMware or reseller partners, while benefitting from the economic value of existing VMware perpetual licenses.
· VMware Cloud on AWS Outposts will be available for purchase via the VMware Cloud Service Portal in VMware’s Q3FY22 and will enable customers to benefit from a cloud operating model for VMware Cloud infrastructure running in their own data center or thick edge locations. This fully-managed offering will enable greater control over data and apps with simple, scalable, and more secure on-prem VMware Cloud infrastructure delivered as a service with optimized access to 200+ native AWS services.
· Dell Technologies APEX Cloud Services with VMware Cloud is a Dell-managed service that brings the VMware Cloud experience to the APEX ecosystem. In private preview now with planned availability in VMware’s Q4 FY22, the infrastructure-as-a-service offering allows organizations to deploy pre-configured cloud instances in their data center or at an edge location or co-location facility.
· VMware vRealize Cloud Management enhancements deliver cloud-agnostic provisioning, proactive monitoring, capacity and cost optimization, app-aware troubleshooting, and end-to-end network visibility across all cloud environments. The new VMware Skyline Advisor Pro proactively prevents issues before they occur to help customers avoid costly unplanned IT downtime.
· VMware Marketplace adds capabilities that enable faster app development and delivery through a private service catalog that includes open source software (Bitnami), VMware and ISV solutions. Customers can now lower procurement cycles and deployment times by purchasing VMware and ISV solutions on the industry’s only multi-cloud marketplace.
· Project Arctic, a tech preview, will bring VMware Cross-Cloud services to the fingertips of millions of IT Admins. Project Arctic natively integrates cloud connectivity into vSphere and establishes hybrid cloud as the default operating model. Customers will be able to take advantage of unlimited cloud capacity on-demand and instantly access VMware Cross-Cloud services through vCenter.
SAFER: VMware uses the power of software, a scale-out distributed architecture, and a cloud delivery model for better security and data protection that’s easier to use. VMware Cloud customers benefit from consistent security policy and features across all environments.
· VMware NSX tapless NDR, Secure Workload Access, and Elastic Application Security Edge are new innovations that are advancing security inside and across VMware Cloud environments.
· VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery enhancements accelerate ransomware recovery and help restore services and data faster.
· VMware Carbon Black Cloud Workload, VMware NSX Advanced Firewall, and VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer help VMware Cloud on AWS customers reduce attack surface, improve application availability and uptime, and make security operations more effective.
· Stretched Cluster support for environments as small as two hosts improve resiliency for VMware Cloud on AWS customers of all sizes.